[Research] [Core] very short and quick survey on HS teachers

Sajitha Bashir sajitha.bashir at gmail.com
Mon Oct 11 08:34:13 IST 2021

Hi Guru, here are some comments and suggested changes.
First, I think the question on whether students are at grade level
should be given separately for language and mathematics (even if teachers
are not teaching those subjects), OR we should ask the teacher to say for
the subject they are teaching   In that case, it is better to have an added
question at the beginning - "Which subject do you teach?"  (assuming they
teach only one, or ask the main subject they teach).  It may not be very
meaningful to ask whether students are at grade level in all subjects.

Second, as we discussed, I think that while these questions are potentially
useful for general advocacy, they may also reflect deep-seated biases about
poor/disadvantaged children's ability to learn.  And a tendency to justify
that given how "behind" these students are, we should teach at the lowest
level and, of course by implication, teachers need make no extra effort.
We should not in any way be reinforcing such concepts which will only
disadvantage these students further.  Teachers will need to make extra
effort to change the way in which they teach, even if the content is
simplified.

I have added two questions to capture teacher beliefs about students and
about their own role.  The responses to these questions will also throw a
light on what needs to be done as part of teacher training.

Of course, like the other questions, they are self-reported statements, so
we have to take them at face value.

Sajitha