[Educationsupport] Meeting to decide on the resource repository (Sep 7, 2021 - 5.00 PM - 6.30 PM)

Rajaraman Krishnan rajaram at solnet.in
Tue Sep 7 10:08:52 IST 2021

I believe the need of the hour is to go back to the basics of pedagogy.
Teachers should be aware of the level of the children and teach to the
level of the students (as a group and as individuals). They
shouldnt blindly teach at the level of the textbook. This is no different
now that it was before the pandemic. This as a systemic change may be
easier to push through now than it was before the pandemic because the
children are so far below the level of the textbook. Here is an article
<https://schools92665243.wordpress.com/2021/07/21/a-blueprint-for-reviving-and-improving-education/>
I wrote on this.

To achieve this a primary change would be to remove the incentive for the
teachers to fudge data. As you may be aware most assessments in govt
schools are a complete sham. They coach the children to memorise the
questions that are going to come in the assessment one week before the
assessment and then ask the same set of questions. The incentive to do this
in terms of demand from higher-ups that the children should all be at a
certain level should go away. And a strong disincentive in terms of
cross-checking the school performance data with external data where
available and pulling up HMs whose school data and external data do not
match should also be done. The removal of the incentive may also be easier
now because once again maintaining the sham that children are all at an
age/class appropriate level will be too ridiculous.

But beware, the production of meaningless data about children's education
is going on on a war footing. The school HMs have all been submitting
report after report (pretty much the only thing they have been doing) about
the education happening for every child. These are complete fabrications.
They are also conducting sham assessments to prove their reports. Stopping
this should be the highest priority.

In terms of submitting resources for the repository as Asha we have been
putting together a collection of digital resources. We have also mapped
these to TN and UP state board curriculum and created an app Asha Kanini
for Windows and Android to access all this content very easily. You can
download and use Asha Kanini here <https://kanini.ashanet.org/>. If you are
interested in using this in state other than UP or TN, please contact me.

Rajaram
Check out my blog <https://schools92665243.wordpress.com/> on education.