[Educationsupport] Meeting of the education support group - August 17, 2021 (5.00 - 6.30 PM)

anusha sharma anusha.sharma at itforchange.net
Wed Aug 18 12:05:55 IST 2021

Dear all,

Thank you for participating in yesterday's working group meeting.
Herewith attached is the shared notes and the public chat for your
reference.

Regards,
Anusha

--

_Regards_

*Anusha Sharma *
Program Assistant - Education
*IT for Change* <http://www.ITforChange.net/>
Bengaluru - 560041
Mobile : +91-9731999533 *| *Office Phone : 080 2653 6890

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
-------------- next part --------------
[16:53] Welcome to Home Room!For help on using BigBlueButton see these (short) tutorial videos.To join the audio bridge click the phone button.  Use a headset to avoid causing background noise for others.This server is running BigBlueButton.
[16:53] To invite someone to the meeting, send them this link: https://b3.teacher-network.in/b/gur-g94-hyn
[17:09] Sajitha Bashir: Ranjini - Uma can also share something about their experiences in Maharashtra
[17:11] Uma: Yes, thanks. I can share if time permits
[17:16] Uma: Ranjani - pls let me know if I can share the intervention in Maharashtra that our organisation has done
[17:17] Ranjani: anusha at itforchange.net
[17:20] Gurumurthy: could you please send it to this? anusha.sharma at itforchange.net
[17:22] Ranjani: Yes, Uma. Certainly we can have your inputs  based on the time
[17:22] Uma: Okay, thanks
[17:51] arun: It seems you have done very important survey at ground level, Any data on child marriages. Or you have focused on primary level only? - Pari marudam.
[17:57] arun: How did the community respond to the activities conducted by the TNSF, Did the child marriages get reported to the 1098 - Poornima Marudam
[17:59] Uma: Diksha Platform has been provided for resources.. in Maharashtra that was the primary portal through which resources were shared with students
[18:00] Uma: School Reopening Guidelines have been developed in collaboration with Unicef Maharashtra
[18:03] Sajitha Bashir: Uma, could you share those Guidelines please
[18:03] Uma: Yes, I will
[18:05] Uma: The quality of resources on Diksha leaves much to be desired
[18:06] Ranjani: Yes indeed
[18:06] Sajitha Bashir: Yes, I agree that the Diksha platform leaves much to be desired and the focus is on quantity. And teachers just forward the videos to children
[18:10] Uma: Prior to any resources being actually deployed by teachers with students, it would be important to assess the learning level of students
[18:10] Uma: This is the discussion we have had with DIETs in Maharashtra
[18:10] Uma: The current bridge course does not peg the children as a baseline
[18:10] Uma: It is a one-size fits all reduced syllabus
[18:12] Uma: The response we have received on conducting assessments is that it is a foregone conclusion that students have reduced abilities
[18:14] arun: In terms of design of these sessions can we divide time in such a way that we have one or two presentations for half an hour and leave the rest open for discussion?
[18:14] arun: I was very happy for the discussion during the last meeting....this time we have almost come to the end without having time for a discussion.
[18:16] Ranjani: Arun, please share your comments
[18:17] Atanu Sain: I believe, school closure and reopen might be a common phenomenon for coming days. All we are talking about different waves 3rd ...4th,   don't know may be many more.  There should be some integrated planning  with at school instruction and home based support for learning. So material development and other strategies need to be aligned with this view. So we need to be prepared ourselves for any disruption in the school based learning.
[18:18] Sajitha Bashir: I think Venita also mentioned last time, that teachers need to be helped to identify what children have learned and how they should be helped.
[18:18] Harish.N.V: I had a question regarding resource building of teachers in handling a situation such as the current one. Personally in this situation when one kept in touch with students, there were a spectrum of challenges regarding pedagogy, regarding children exposed to continous stress, social issues like child marraiges, health concerns and so on. So for me the resource building of teachers seems to be an important area of work for many. So how have teacher resource building approaches changed/ modified in the current scenario? I would like to hear some perspectives on this? Because there was a sure widening of my capacities that was needed in this light.
[18:19] Harish.N.V: I have really enjoyed the current and the last meeting
[18:21] Dhamodharan: I think we should suggest govt to print dynamic per child materails and give it to all the children. Need to conduct the evaluation for all the kids before start taking the class .
[18:21] Sajitha Bashir: As part of the guidelines, we need to include the kind of teacher training that is required to support mixed age group teaching
[18:22] Dhamodharan: Without focusing on the syllabus. The school must focus on ensuring sudden critical skills before moving to syllabus .
[18:22] Uma: Sajitha, we did CPD at scale last year and have given several recommendations to the state on the way forward
[18:22] Uma: Let me know if that is something this group is interested in understanding the same.
[18:22] ramanujam: definitely, uma
[18:23] Sajitha Bashir: Yes, please do share with us
[18:23] Dhamodharan: First three months the govt should not think about the syllabus and make sure all kids are achieved sudden key skills like reading and basic operation etc
[18:26] arun: Paripooranam here, my colleague in Marudam is also part of Asha for education and they too have continued engaging with children through covid times. Can we invite them to share their experiences in the future meetings?
[18:27] Ranjani: Yes please Arun
[18:27] Ranjani: That would be great
[18:28] Gurumurthy: https://educationemergency.net/
[18:28] arun: Thank you Ranjani. Pari will talk to the team and see who it is who should do the presentation.
[18:31] Sajitha Bashir: Will Uma be speaking?
[18:31] Uma: Yes, I would like to
[18:31] Uma: But it seems there is no time!
[18:31] arun: Can you email the names of the sub groups please? Thank you all for the time.
[18:32] Ranjani: Yes, Arun
[18:33] Gurumurthy: Uma, the experiences of CEQUE should be documented, the group  has made a 'template' and my colleague Anusha can discuss  offline with you to make this document for CEQUE
[18:33] Gurumurthy: CEQUE resources already available which will be useful for teachers
[18:34] Gurumurthy: and CEQUE's network of teachers in Maharashtra will also provide inputs to our work / policy brief
[18:34] Ranjani: Please do share
[18:35] Gurumurthy: also Maharashtra has decided to open schools but has planned a short 'bridge course'. so we need to share our thoughts with them in a note with some suggestions
[18:36] Gurumurthy: Maha will be a potential state for us to engage with our ideas
[18:37] Sajitha Bashir: The information on what states are doing is really useful.  We will use it for the state policy tracker that the research group is preparing. Please recall that
[18:37] Gurumurthy: also TISS CETE could consider this Mythili?