[Educationsupport] [Updates] Short video interviews of children / parents / teachers

Guru Guru at ITforChange.net
Mon Aug 9 18:07:21 IST 2021

One of the ideas we had to make visible the emergency was to collect and
publish views/perspectives/expectations of parents as short videos.
This can help put pressure on governments and also create a wider
awareness of non-middle class perspectives which are so hegemonic currently.

I thought of some initial questions - pl add/modify to these in the
google doc (link
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1yDmOanb0kHRC9-Hmdux3-hYJPoWmoRTAzh_OzaWzGEg/edit?usp=sharing)
and also shared below:

 1. Are their children getting any online  education
 2. are they getting materials on whatsapp etc (digital but not online
    education)
 3. do they watch Chandana TV program (Govt program for teaching - in
    which teachers deliver lectures broadcast on TV)
 4. did any teacher call them to check on them during this period
 5. are children out in the open playing with friends or all the time
    observing 'social distancing' at home  (basically to expose this
    myth that keeping them home  is keeping them safe)
 6. are their children studying by themselves, able to study by themselves?
 7. is it a challenge to manage children at home (specially since
    parents may have to go to work, wfh is available mostly to middle
    and upper class parents)
 8. do they want schools to open
 9. if schools maintain distancing and hygiene measures, will they send
    children to school (different from previous - unqualified and second
    qualified)

All questions need not be answered in the  same video and can be
distributed amongst parents for variety, with maybe 2-3 questions per
response. We can share  these questions with coalition members to
collect from parents they are interacting with. If we get 2-3 videos in
a language that would be great.

During the last year, the SDMC Federation of Karnataka organized similar
videos of parents and children and shared them on social media.
(https://karnatakaschoolopen.wordpress.com/student-speak and
https://karnatakaschoolopen.wordpress.com/parent-speak).

Pl share  your suggestions (and edits in the google doc
<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1yDmOanb0kHRC9-Hmdux3-hYJPoWmoRTAzh_OzaWzGEg/edit?usp=sharing>).
I have also added questions for children and for teachers in the same
document.

Look forward to your response and suggestions.

thanks,

Guru