[Educationsupport] Next meeting of the Education Support Group - October 12, 2021 (5.00 - 6.30 PM)

Sajitha Bashir sajitha.bashir at gmail.com
Sat Oct 16 19:02:52 IST 2021

Dear Anu, thank for you sharing this information.  I am not too aware of
the Makkal Palli program, but I can also confirm that in Kerala, similar
tasks are being given to high school students - eg teachers send them some
"notes"  on earlier lessons through WhatsApp, and students are supposed to
copy them and submit them.  If the students don't submit them, they may not
be allowed to enter the class (though I suspect that won't be enforced as
many children are not doing this).  The submission of these copied out
"notes" is somehow taken as evidence of children having "learnt" the prior
content.  The whole thing is a charade and a complete travesty of what is
meaningful learning.

I agree that the main change has to come through clear directives of the
govt on what teachers should be doing, supported by teacher training, well
chosen resources etc ... how we do that might vary by state, depending on
who is willing to listen and act.

But at the very least, I think we have to surface publicly (in the media,
with our social mobilization groups, and others etc) what is happening on
the ground in the name of school re-opening,  and also contrast the
practices in the govt schools with what is going on in the elite private
schools.  Even if the information is qualitative, it needs to be collected
systematically and be credible.   We would be really happy for any
suggestions on this.  For instance, would people be willing to enter
information in a simple Google form in a semi-structured way, capturing
information on aspects of the implementation of school re-opening.

Sajitha